F.A. Cup
                                                   1872/73  Results
For the one and only time the F.A. Challenge Cup was exactly that - a challenge competition where the holders were given an automatic place in the final (and a choice of final venue) and the other clubs competed to challenge them in that final. Because the competition was still based in the south, Queens Park of Glasgow were given a bye to the Semi-Final but they were unable to travel to London for that match because of the work commitments of some of their players.
First Round
Byes - Wanderers (holders - to the final), Queens Park of Glasgow (to the semi-final)
Sat Oct 26 1st Surrey Rifles2-0Upton Park
Sat Oct 19 Barnes0-1South Norwood
Clapham Rovers  (walkover) Hitchin  (scratched)
Sat Oct 26 Maidenhead 1-0Marlow
Sat Oct 26 Oxford University 3-2Crystal Palace
Sat Oct 26 Royal Engineers 3-0Civil Service
Sat Oct 26 Windsor Home Park 4-2Reigate Priory
Second Round
Bye - Royal Engineers
Sat Nov 23 Clapham Rovers0-3Oxford University
Sat Nov 23 Maidenhead 3-01st Surrey Rifles
Sat Nov 23 South Norwood  1-0*Windsor Home Park
Sat Dec 7 Windsor Home Park3-0

South Norwood

Third Round
Mon Dec 9 Oxford University1-0Royal Engineers
Sat Dec 21 Maidenhead 1-0Windsor Home Park
Fourth Round
Mon Feb 3 Oxford University4-0Maidenhead
Semi-Final (due to have been played at the Kennington Oval)
Oxford University  (walkover) Queens Park (Glasgow)  (scratched)


Final (at Lillie Bridge, London)
Sat Mar 29 Wanderers (holders)2-0Oxford University

* The result of the Second Round tie between South Norwood and Windsor Home Park was declared void and a replay was ordered. The original match had ended before 90 minutes had been played.



The programme cover of the April 2009 Premier clash between Newcastle and Chelsea had a picture of the new Newcastle manager with a quote of 'It's a big job - but I'm confident'. A month later they were relegated - name the manager.

Click for answer
For hundreds of more quiz questions click on Quiz

Web footballsite.co.uk